Items You Can Clean with a Pressure Washer
A pressure washer is one of the most useful and versatile tools in a person’s cleaning arsenal. And if you own a home, you know how important it is to keep your house and other exterior surfaces clean and free of dirt, mold and mildew. A pressure washer is a great way to revitalize a wide variety of outdoor surfaces, and they’re a “blast” to use! What’s more, you can rent a pressure washer instead of buying one or calling a professional.
Count on your local ARA-affiliated rental store to help you decide what size and type of pressure washer rental will work best for your cleaning needs.
Benefits of Pressure Washer Rentals
If you don’t plan on using the pressure washer more than once a year, it’s probably more cost-efficient to rent one. It really boils down to the cost per use. But cost isn’t the only reason to opt for a pressure washer rental. Consider these additional perks of renting:
- No maintenance to worry about.
- No storage space needed.
- No need to winterize.
- Can rent a pressure washer that’s professional grade.
12 Ways to Use a Pressure Washer at Home
Here are some common pressure washer uses for easy cleanup on and around your home:
1. Clean your driveway — This is probably the most common application for a pressure washer and it’s easy to see why. Pressure washing your driveway (as well as walkways and other concrete surfaces around your home) is a quick and simple task that can spruce up the overall appearance of your home. Cleaning these paved areas with a regular garden hose doesn’t let you get into all the nooks and crannies like a pressure washer can, and just leaves them looking dirty after all your hard work.
2. Wash a fence — All fences, whether they’re wooden, vinyl, wrought iron or chain link, can benefit from being pressure washed to remove stains, rust and dirt. Take caution when pressure washing a wooden fence, though, making sure to use a gentle setting to avoid stripping off paint, stain or weather sealant.
3. Clean garbage cans and recycling bins — Sure, you could use a hose, but you probably won’t get all the gunk and grime off your cans and bins without diving in and scrubbing them manually. Renting a pressure washer makes this task a cinch and may prevent grime from eroding the bottom of your cans, which could extend their lifespan.
4. Clean a grill — Pressure washing a grill makes quick work out of a tedious task before or after a long summer of backyard barbeques. Plus, all that blackened crust and grease on the grill plates do not always all come off with a wire cleaning brush. Be sure to disconnect the propane and any electrical components before getting started.
5. Wash outdoor patio furniture — No one wants to sit outside and relax on patio furniture covered in dirt, stains or mildew. Whether your deck chairs and couches are made of wood, vinyl or plastic, a quick and easy pressure washing can make it look brand new again.
6. Clean your car, truck or SUV — Your vehicle can shine like new without heading to the car wash. All you need is a pressure washer rental and some detergent. Be sure to adjust the intensity on the pressure washer to avoid damaging your paint job. In addition, if you’re able to find a special attachment called a water broom, you can wash your vehicle’s undercarriage as well.
7. Wash outdoor toys, swing sets and play equipment — Outdoor toys and play areas for your kids can get dirty. Scrubbing these items by hand with soap and water is time-consuming, so use a pressure washer to get the job done in a fraction of the time.
8. Clean your home’s exterior — It’s always surprising to see how much better a home looks when it’s clean. Whether you have vinyl siding, stucco or brick, it’s simple to clean your home’s exterior with a pressure washer rental. While you’re at it, pressure wash your windows and garage door so your whole home is spick and span — just be sure to use caution and adjust the pressure for the windows so they don’t break.
9. Clean gutters, soffits and downspouts — Clogged gutters can cause some pricey damages, as basement and foundation leaks are expensive to fix. And, if your once-white gutters are now green, you’ll be happy to know there’s a way to fix that. Restoring and cleaning your gutters can make them look like new again, and using a special gutter attachment makes the job a breeze. Don’t forget to wash your soffits and downspouts, too.
10. Clean your lawn mower and other lawn tools — Clean the caked-on green clumps of grass above and around your mower blades in seconds with a pressure washer rental. Of course, you can pressure wash the top of your mower, too. You can also wash other lawn equipment like trimmers, rakes and garden tools; simply lay them in the grass and spray. Just be sure to set the pressure low enough so you don’t damage any paint.
11. Clean stone birdbaths and fountains — Stains from bird droppings and other outdoor elements can be hard to remove from stone birdbaths and fountains. A pressure washer can make the job quick and easy.
12. Wash a boat — You can remove dirt, mold and mildew from a boat with a pressure washer rental, making sure to adjust the pressure so you do not harm the surface of the boat.
This list of pressure washer uses is just the beginning of all the items you can pressure wash around your home. Whether you’re spring cleaning or tidying up your home any other time of year, a pressure washer is clearly a beneficial tool worth renting.
A Word of Caution
Always be careful when using a pressure washer rental. It’s an extremely powerful tool. Operate the unit in a wide-open space and never indoors. Keep kids and animals away to avoid injury. Read all the instructions and consult with your rental store partners before operating a pressure washer rental.
Pressure Washer Rental Near Me
There are many types of pressure washers available to rent. Some are more suited for your needs than others, depending on what you’ll be using it for. Choosing the right pressure washer rental is important, and your local ARA-affiliated rental stores can recommend what size and type of pressure washer will work best for your needs and your budget.
Need a pressure washer rental near you? Find a rental partner to meet your pressure washer needs using the Rental Store Quick Locator above.
Frequently Asked Questions
What kind of pressure washer should I rent?
Gas-powered (cold water) pressure washers probably make the most sense to rent. While they are rather expensive to buy, they are more affordable than a hot water unit to rent. Gas-powered units have plenty of power to tackle most heavy-duty jobs, and there are also some medium-duty ones that are typically less expensive to rent. Your ARA-affiliated rental store can help you decide.
How much does it cost to rent a pressure washer?
Renting a pressure washer usually costs anywhere from $40 to $100 per day. If you were to buy a pressure washer, an electric pressure washer will cost you $100 to $400, and a gas pressure washer will set you back $300 to $600.
Is it worth it to buy a pressure washer?
If you plan on using it often, a pressure washer may be more cost-effective to buy in the long run. But storing and maintaining one can be a hassle and might not make it worth the money you save. The units take up a lot of space, require maintenance and you must winterize them. Some pressure washer units must be stored indoors in colder climates to prevent damage.