You can rent several different types of power trowels depending upon your needs.
- Walk-behind power trowel. Rent standard models of walk-behind power trowels for small to medium applications or for heavy-duty projects. Common sizes for walk-behind power trowels include 24, 30, 36, 46 and 48 inches. The smaller walk behind power trowels can fit through a standard doorway. Walk-behind power trowels usually contain four-blade rotors.
- Ride-on power trowel. Often characterized by two rotors with four, five or six blades, ride-on power trowel rentals take less time and effort to finish large, concrete surfaces than walk-behind models do. Ring diameters on ride-on power trowels generally measure at 36, 46, 48 or 60 inches. The twin rotors’ paths either can cross over each other or not. In addition, power trowels come with or without gearboxes and drive belts. The hydrostatic models do not contain these moving parts, which eliminates a possible reason for a breakdown.
- Walk-behind epoxy power trowel. Designed for finishing epoxy coatings on concrete, these rented power trowels come in variable-speed and reduced-speed styles.
- Power trowel edger. Rent this type of power trowel to finish areas, such as near walls, around corners or in hallways, which a larger power trowel would miss.
- Accessories. One important accessory to consider when renting a power trowel is the blade that you will use on it. Other available accessories include float pans and grinding attachments. Many rental stores offer these accessories for sale or rent. A trowel dolly makes transporting a rented power trowel easier.
Benefits of Power Trowels
Once poured concrete begins to set, you can use a rented power trowel to finish the surface. It will level and smooth, as well as remove screed marks from the concrete surface. Power trowel rentals also:
- Provide an outstanding finish. A rented power trowel gives concrete a smooth finish.
- Save time. Using a rented power trowel to finish concrete surfaces takes a lot less time than trying to do the work by hand.
- Reduce labor costs. If you have a crew that you pay by the hour, the less time they spend on a job means the less you have to pay them. Since using a power trowel takes less time than working with a hand trowel, you can reduce your labor costs by renting a power trowel.
Considerations when renting a power trowel
Many factors influence the decision of which power trowel to rent, including the size and location of the concrete area you will finish, the power source available at the worksite and the particular finish you want to achieve. To aid in your power trowel rental selection, learn more below about possible features on rented power trowels that suit them for particular applications. Your local, ARA-affiliated rental store professionals also can assist you in your power trowel rental selection.
- Type. Renting a ride-on power trowel works best for concrete finishing projects greater than 4,000 square feet, whereas a walk-behind power trowel should suffice for finishing small to medium areas of concrete.
- Power source. Most rented power trowels contain gas engines. The few models that do run on electricity usually require a 230-volt power source. These electric models do not produce exhausts fumes, though, which makes them ideal for indoor applications.
- Blades. Blades for power trowels come in three styles — float, finish or combination. As soon as the concrete can support enough weight, use a float blade to smooth and level the concrete, then wait until the concrete starts to set before using a finish blade to smooth the surface further. Combination blades can perform the functions of both the float and finish blades.
- Other features.When renting a power trowel, consider the horsepower and revolutions per minute of the unit to make sure that it supports your application. On ride-on power trowels, the steering features also play an important role.
Before you use this equipment, please review the tips below and read all manufacturer warnings and instructions. Your local, ARA-affiliated rental store professional can provide you with complete instructions.
- Read all manufacturer warnings and instructions prior to using your rented power trowel.
- Follow safe lifting practices when loading and unloading the power trowel.
- Properly secure rented power trowel for transport.
- Wear appropriate personal protective equipment.
- Never wear loose clothing or jewelry that can catch on the rented power trowel during use.
- Connect rented, electric power trowel to only a grounded outlet.
- Operate rented, gas-powered power trowels in only a well-ventilated area.
- Ensure feet stay clear of the rented power trowel’s path during operation.
- Do not put hands or feet between rings when using the rented power trowel.
- Keep onlookers at an appropriate distance from the worksite.
- Do not allow anyone to ride, other than the operator, on ride-on power trowels.
- Check and, if needed, service fluid levels in rented, gas-powered power trowels before use.
- Select a blade — approved by the manufacturer of the rented power trowel — that suits your intended application. Make sure to secure it to the rented power trowel and adjust it properly. Position the trowel blades horizontally when performing floating operations and at a slight tilt for finishing operations.
- Follow manufacturer’s recommendations for starting and shutting off the rented power trowel.
- Use the rented power trowel for floating when the concrete has cured enough that the equipment operator barely leaves an impression when standing on the surface. Move a walk-behind power trowel backwards when floating to level any footprints made by the operator.
- Use the rented power trowel for finishing when the concrete nearly has cured.
- After finishing, roughen the surface a bit if you desire a non-skid surface.
- Be sure to clean the rented power trowel before returning it.
Contact your local, ARA-affiliated, rental store for information on available rental products and services to meet your power trowel needs. To locate the rental store nearest you, use the Rental Store Quick Locator above.