A How-To on Using a Rented Grinder
Your local ARA-affiliated rental store professional can train you on how to operate your rented grinder safely and on how to change grinder accessories properly. The following material offers some general tips on how to use a rented grinder safely.
- Read all manufacturer warnings and instructions prior to using your rented grinder.
- Follow safe lifting practices when loading and unloading rented grinder.
- Properly secure rented grinder when you transport it.
- Wear appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE), such as a dust mask or respirator, safety glasses, hearing protection and protective boots.
- Never wear loose clothing or jewelry that can catch on the rented grinder during use.
- Connect rented, electric grinder to a grounded outlet.
- Ensure feet stay clear of the rented grinder’s path during operation.
- Keep onlookers at an appropriate distance from the worksite.
- Rent the appropriate grinder from your local ARA-affiliated rental store. See Types of Grinders You Can Rent and Keys to Renting the Right Grinder for more information.
- Check and, if needed, service fluid levels in rented, gas-powered grinders before use.
- Select a disc and inserts for the rented grinder that suits your intended application. Make sure to secure it to the rented grinder properly.
- Follow manufacturer’s recommendations for starting and shutting off the rented grinder.
- Use both hands when using the rented grinder.
- Work the grinder from side to side in an irregular pattern for even grinding.
- Do not exert physical strength against the rented grinder. Instead, guide the grinder and let it do the work.
- Do not let the rented grinder remain in one spot for very long while in use.
Contact your local, ARA-affiliated, rental store for information on available rental products and services to meet your grinder needs. To locate the rental store nearest you, use the Rental Store Quick Locator above.