Tips on Using a Rented Paint Sprayer
You will achieve quality results with your rented paint sprayer if you take note of these tips. Your ARA-affiliated rental profession also can give you complete written instructions and a demonstration on how to use your rental paint sprayer safely.
- Safety tips:
- Read all manufacturer warnings and instructions prior to using the rented paint sprayer.
- To prevent injuries, do not point the rented paint sprayer at yourself or anyone else when using or cleaning it.
- Do not put your fingers near the rented paint sprayer’s tip while using the equipment. Never attempt to unclog the sprayer while spraying paint.
- Engage the rented paint sprayer’s safety lock when not in use.
- Unplug the rented paint sprayer and pull its trigger to release any built-up pressure before cleaning it.
- Wear appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE), such as gloves, safety glasses and a dusk mask or respirator.
- Preparation tips:
- Thoroughly clean the surface you plan to paint. Dirt, peeling paint, mold and other surface deposits can hinder paint adhesion. Using a rented pressure washer works well to clean exterior surfaces before painting. After washing, rinse away any cleaning agents and let the surface dry completely.
- Scrape away any peeling paint on the surface you will paint. Then, sand and prime these areas for better paint adhesion.
- Use masking tape or plastic to protect areas you do not want to paint.
- Paint spraying tips:
- Strain paint before using it in a rented paint sprayer to remove impurities that can clog the sprayer’s tip.
- Perform a painting trial on a scrap piece of wood before spraying actual surface you want to paint.
- Apply several thin coats of paint instead of one thick coat, letting paint dry between coats.
- Consistently hold the rented paint sprayer about 12 inches away and perpendicular to the surface you will paint.
- Start at the top of the surface and spray a section no wider than 3 feet before moving down to the next section.
- Begin spraying motion before pulling trigger on paint sprayer and release trigger before stopping motion.
- For more even paint coverage, spray straight from side to side, avoiding spraying in an arch.
- After beginning to paint, do not stop painting for periods of 20 minutes or more to prevent paint from thickening.
- Clean your rented paint sprayer before returning it to avoid cleaning fees.
Contact your local, ARA-affiliated, rental store for information on available rental products and services to meet your paint sprayer needs. To locate the rental store nearest you, use the Rental Store Quick Locator above.