Tips for Operating a Rented Power Trowel Safely
Heed the following tips to help ensure that you safely operate your rented power trowel. Your ARA-affiliated rental store professional also can instruct you on the proper operation of your rented power trowel.
- Read all manufacturer warnings and instructions prior to using your rented power trowel.
- Follow safe lifting practices when loading and unloading rented power trowel.
- Properly secure rented power trowel when you transport it.
- Wear appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE), such as a dust mask or respirator, safety glasses, hearing protection and protective boots.
- Never wear loose clothing or jewelry that can catch on the rented power trowel during use.
- Connect rented, electric power trowel to a grounded outlet only.
- Only operate rented, gas-powered power trowels in a well-ventilated area.
- Ensure feet stay clear of the rented power trowel’s path during operation.
- Do not put hands or feet between rings when using the rented power trowel.
- Keep onlookers at an appropriate distance from the worksite.
- Do not allow anyone to ride, other than the operator, on ride-on power trowels.
- Rent the appropriate power trowel from your local ARA-affiliated rental store. See Power Trowel Rental Options and Possible Features on Rented Power Trowels for more information.
- Check and, if needed, service fluid levels in rented, gas-powered power trowels before use.
- Select a blade — approved by the manufacturer of the rented power trowel — that suits your intended application. Make sure to secure it to the rented power trowel and adjust it properly. Position the trowel blades horizontally when performing floating operations and at a slight tilt for finishing operations.
- Follow manufacturer’s recommendations for starting and shutting off the rented power trowel.
- Use the rented power trowel for floating when the concrete has cured enough that the equipment operator barely leaves an impression when standing on the surface. Move a walk-behind power trowel backwards when floating to level any footprints made by the operator.
- Use the rented power trowel for finishing when the concrete nearly has cured.
- After finishing, roughen the surface a bit if you desire a non-skid surface.
- Be sure to clean the rented power trowel before returning it.
Contact your local, ARA-affiliated, rental store for information on available rental products and services to meet your power trowel needs. To locate the rental store nearest you, use the Rental Store Quick Locator above.