Which Chain Saw Should You Rent?
You must consider many factors when deciding which chain saw to rent for your purposes. The following list provides some of the things that you should keep in mind. An ARA-affiliated rental store professional also can assist you in selecting the best chain saw for your intended application.
- Type. Rental chain saw types range from lightweight to heavyweight. SeeA Variety of Chain Saw Rentals for more information on types of chain saws available to rent.
- Power supply. Either gas or electricity can supply power to a chain saw. Electric chain saws work best for lightweight applications, such as cutting small limbs or felling trees with trunk diameters of less than 10 inches. Although usually quieter and cleaner than gas chain saws, a disadvantage of electric chain saws arises from the fact that they are tethered to an electrical cord that you could easily cut while operating the equipment. Gas chain saws have the power necessary to tackle tough cutting of larger trees and branches.
- Bar length. A chain saw’s bar guide can range from 8 to 25 inches. The bar length that you will need on a rental chain saw depends on the size of limb, log or tree that you wish to cut.
- Horsepower. The horsepower of a rented chain saw determines its power potential. The power of a chain saw dictates the size of guide bar that it can handle. It also affects how quickly it can cut.
- Ease of use. Inexperienced users usually find lightweight rental chain saws easier to handle than heavier models. Easy-start features also make chain saws more user-friendly.
- Handle design. Rental chain saws can have their handles situated on either the top or the rear of the equipment. Choose the style that feels most comfortable to you. In addition, some chain saw models offer heated handles for the increased comfort of users in cold climates.
- Ergonomic and safety features. Rental chain saw features such as hand guards, chain-braking systems, anti-kickback chains and spark arrestors make rental chain saws safer to operate, while vibration reduction features offer an ergonomic advantage.
Contact your local, ARA-affiliated, rental store for information on available rental products and services to meet your chain saw needs. To locate the rental store nearest you, use the Rental Store Quick Locator above.