Using a Rented Pressure Washer Safely
Before using a pressure washer, you should become familiar with how it operates. The following tips should help you use your rented pressure washer safely and effectively. Your local, ARA-affiliated rental store can give you complete operating instructions.
- Read all manufacturer warnings and instructions prior to using the rented pressure washer.
- To prevent injuries, do not point the rented pressure washer at yourself or anyone else when using it.
- Do not put your fingers and hands near the rented pressure washer’s nozzle while using the equipment.
- Engage the rented pressure washer’s safety lock when not in use.
- Wear appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE), such as safety glasses and boots.
- Always place rented pressure washer on a level surface.
- Use nozzles designed for your rented pressure washer and for your application.
- Make sure to connect hoses firmly and securely.
- Turn on water flow before using the rented pressure washer.
- Test the rented pressure washer on an inconspicuous area before beginning the main cleaning task.
- First try cleaning using only water with the rented pressure washer.
- If needed, use a cleaning solution approved for use in the rented pressure washer and appropriate for item you will clean. Work from the bottom up when spraying cleaning solutions on vertical surfaces. Make sure you give cleaning solutions a few minutes to work before you wash them away, but do not let them dry on item’s surface. When rinsing detergent from vertical surfaces, spray from the top down.
- Hold rented pressure washer’s nozzle a few feet way from item you will wash.
- Do not use hot water on wood surfaces and always spray them at an angle.
- Do not use rented pressure washer at high pressure on windows or glass doors to prevent breaking them.
- Periodically check rented pressure washer for a pinched hose or clogged nozzle. To clean clogged nozzle, turn off the pressure washer, release pressure from the hose, remove nozzle and use a wire to clear clog before replacing the nozzle.
- When done working, relieve pressure from rented pressure washer’s hose before disconnecting.
Contact your local, ARA-affiliated, rental store for information on available rental products and services to meet your pressure washer needs. To locate the rental store nearest you, use the Rental Store Quick Locator above.