Usage Tips for a Rented Dethatcher
Using a rented dethatcher is similar to using other lawn tools, such as a lawnmower or aerator. The tips below can help you use your rented dethatcher safely and correctly. Your local, ARA-affiliated rental store also can provide you complete instructions for using your rented dethatcher.
- Read all manufacturer warnings and instructions prior to using the rented dethatcher.
- Follow safe lifting practices when loading and unloading rented dethatcher from vehicle.
- Secure rented dethatcher when you transport it.
- Wear appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE), such as safety glasses, steel-toed boots and gloves.
- Ensure the lawn is dry.
- Remove all lawn furniture, hoses and other items from the lawn. In addition, clear the lawn of any rocks or debris where you plan to dethatch.
- Mark sprinkler system, buried cables or other stationary items you could damage when you dethatch.
- Mow the lawn a little lower than normal.
- Rent the appropriate dethatcher from your local ARA-affiliated rental store. See Dethatchers: The Rental Solution for Thatch for a description of types of rental dethatchers available.
- Check and, if needed, service fluid levels in rented gas-powered dethatchers.
- Set depth level on the rented dethatcher.
- Adjust the speed of self-propelled, rented dethatchers as needed. Use a slow speed on rough terrains and as you test the dethatcher to become familiar with how it operates.
- Go over your lawn with the rented dethatcher in the same manner, as you would use a lawn mower. Use the dethatcher only on grass, avoiding steep slopes and paved surfaces. You may need to go over your lawn a second time to ensure the removal of all thatch.
- Manually rake lawn to remove all thatch. It is normal for the lawn to look stressed after dethatching.
- Overseed and fertilize the lawn after dethatching.
Contact your local, ARA-affiliated, rental store for information on available rental products and services to meet your dethatcher needs. To locate the rental store nearest you, use the Rental Store Quick Locator above.