Safe Power Generation Tips
All too often news stories report of a death from the improper use of a generator. To prevent becoming such a tragic statistic, follow these tips for operating a rented generator safely. Your ARA-affiliated rental store professional also can instruct you on the proper use of your rented generator.
- Read all warnings and instructions for the rented generator before use.
- Follow safe lifting practices when loading and unloading a rented, portable generator.
- Properly secure rented generator when you transport it.
- Follow safe practices when you hook up and tow a rented generator.
- Do not use a rented generator in an enclosed or unventilated space.
- Rent the appropriate generator from your local ARA-affiliated rental store. See Generators and Related Products for Rent and Selecting a Generator to Rent for more information.
- Always place the rented generator on a dry, clean, level surface.
- Check and, if needed, service fluid levels in rented generator before use.
- Follow manufacturer’s recommendations for starting and shutting off the rented generator.
- Shut off the engine on a rented generator before refueling.
- Check and, if needed, clean or replace the filter on the rented generator.
- Do not overload the rented generator.
- Only use proper extension cords to connect equipment to rented generators.
Contact your local, ARA-affiliated, rental store for information on available rental products and services to meet your generator needs. To locate the rental store nearest you, use the Rental Store Quick Locator above.