Rental Equipment for Cleaning Drains and Sewers
Rental stores carry a variety of equipment for cleaning drain and sewer clogs. Take a look at the following guide to determine which unit best fits your needs. Your local, ARA-affiliated rental professional also can recommend the equipment you need for properly cleaning your drains and sewers quickly and easily.
- Toilet or closet auger. This manual, rental auger designed for cleaning clogged toilets uses a cable that reaches 3 to 6 feet down the toilet bowl’s drain. This type of auger features a guard to prevent scratching porcelain.
- Drain snake or auger. This drain-cleaning, rental tool uses coiled metal cable or flat steel wire to clear clogs in drains that have small diameters, such as ones for sinks, bathtubs or showers. It is available in manual or drill-operated models. The manual model operates by hand, whereas the drill-operated model attaches to an electric drill to feed the cable. These drain snakes can reach between 25 to 50 feet.
- Water ram. Rent a water ram to clear clogs in toilets, sinks, showers, bathtubs and floor drains using compressed air.
- Electric sewer jet. Rent this drain-cleaning tool to clean floor or main drains using high-pressure water. An advantage of this tool is that it unclogs drains without undue stress on pipe walls. It also works well to clear blockages caused by severe grease, sand or ice.
- Electric sewer snake or auger. Also known as an eel or rooter, this electrical rental item works to clear tough clogs in large-diameter drains, such as a main sewer line from the house to the street. This type of snake consists of a cage or drum containing continuous cable that can reach from 50 to 100 feet down the drain.
- Sectional-cable sewer snakes. Unlike continuous-cable models, these electric, sectional-cable sewer snakes consist of 5- to 10-foot cable sections that snap together to make a cable up to 500 feet long. Therefore, if you damage one section of it, you can replace it at the worksite without having to return the equipment to the rental store for repair before continuing to work. This drain-cleaning tool works well to clear tough drain blockages, such as those caused by tree roots. You also can use this rental item for the same applications for which you would use the electric sewer snake.
- Pipe inspection equipment. This rental item allows video recording of the pipeline using a cable-mounted video camera that transmits the recorded images to a video monitor. You can use pipe inspection equipment to troubleshoot drain problems or to locate an expensive item someone washed down a drain.
- Wet/dry vacuum. Plumbing problems may cause water to overflow and puddle. You can rent an industrial-strength wet/dry vacuum to remove the water quickly and easily.
- Submersible pump. When a large amount of water accumulates from a sewer backup, you can rent a pump to remove it.
Contact your local, ARA-affiliated, rental store for information on available rental products and services to meet your drain and sewer cleaning equipment needs. To locate the rental store nearest you, use the Rental Store Quick Locator above.