Make Safety a Priority When Using a Rented Inflatable Unit
Options related to inflatable units vary depending on where you rent them. Some rental stores allow customers to pick up and set up smaller inflatable units themselves. Other rental stores send out crews to set up all inflatable units. Rental stores also may offer supervision of a rented inflatable unit or leave that to those who rent the item. No matter who delivers, installs and supervises it, proper set up and use of the rented inflatable unit will help ensure the safety of its users. Here are some tips to keep in mind.
- Make sure you have an electrical supply with a grounded outlet of appropriate volts and amps for the rented inflatable unit’s blower.
- Do not use the rented inflatable unit in winds greater than about 15 mph or temperatures below 40 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Require riders to remove any objects, such as glasses, jewelry and shoes, which may have sharp edges that could puncture the rented inflatable unit.
- Keep unauthorized individuals away from the blower fan used with the rented inflatable unit.
- An adult must supervise the use of the rented inflatable unit.
- Before renting an inflatable unit, ask the rental store professional how much space it requires. Then, make sure you have sufficient room to set up the selected inflatable unit. Keep in mind that a blower or generator generally attaches to the back of the inflatable unit and may need an additional 6 feet.
- Choose a level location for the rented inflatable unit. Grass, cement or asphalt usually are acceptable surfaces.
- Locate and mark any underground electrical, gas or telephone cables and irrigation systems that run under the perimeter of the area where you want to set up the rented inflatable unit since installation usually requires securing it with 18-inch stakes. In some cases, installers can use 100-pound sandbags instead of spikes to secure the inflatable unit.
- Turn off any automatic sprinkler systems near the rented inflatable unit for the duration of the rental. Many inflatable units may present a danger when wet.
- Prior to delivery of the rented inflatable unit, clear the area where you will locate it of any rocks, sticks, toys or animal droppings. Also, make sure tree branches will clear the height of the inflatable unit adequately.
- Keep in mind, the size of the rented inflatable unit determines the amount of time it will take to set it up and take it down.
- Once set up, inspect the inflatable unit for damage, cleanliness and safety.
- Make sure you have complete and proper instructions on the use of the rented inflatable unit before allowing anyone to use the unit.
- Follow all guidelines provided by the rental company and the manufacturer’s instruction manual on the proper use of the rented inflatable unit.
- Limit the number of users of the rented inflatable unit according to the manufacturer’s specifications.
- Allow only riders of the same size to use the rented inflatable unit at one time.
- Prohibit riders from participating in rough housing, flips or climbing on the sides of the rented inflatable unit.
Contact your local, ARA-affiliated, rental store for information on available rental products and services to meet your inflatable unit needs. To locate the rental store nearest you, use the Rental Store Quick Locator above.