Deciding Which Pressure Washer to Rent
What will you clean? Where will you clean? How long will you clean? The answers to these questions will help you decide which pressure washer to rent. Understanding the differences between various types of rental pressure washers, will allow you to find the best pressure washer and accessories to rent for your cleaning project.
- Type. The two main types of pressure washers that you can rent are cold water pressure washers and hot water pressure washers. See Pressure Washer Rental Options for more information on types of pressure washers.
- Power supply. Either gas or electricity can power rental pressure washers. If you plan to work indoors and have access to electricity, you should rent an electric-powered pressure washer because gas-powered pressure washers produce fumes. Lightweight, electric-powered pressure washers work well for light-duty cleaning jobs.Gas-powered pressure washers provide more pressure and greater water flow than electric-powered pressure washers do, which make them ideal for heavy-duty cleaning jobs.
- Direct-driven vs. belt-driven pump. Direct-driven pressure washers have the pump connected directly to the motor or engine. These compact, mobile units work well for smaller-scale cleaning jobs. On the other hand, belt-driven pressure washers use pulleys and belts to connect the motor or engine to the pump. This makes them heavier, less mobile and more durable than direct-driven pressure washers, which suits them for heavy-duty cleaning jobs that take a long time to complete, such as pressure washing an entire house.
- Cleaning units. Look at the cleaning units of a pressure washer to find out its cleaning power. To determine the number of cleaning units for a pressure washer, multiply the number of gallons per minute (gpm) that flow by its water pressure — measured in pounds per square inch (psi). Not surprisingly, pressure washers rated higher in cleaning units tend to clean better. Contractors often rent a 4-gpm, 2,500-psi pressure washer and homeowners commonly rent a 3-gpm, 1,500-psi pressure washer.
- Chemical injection capability. Some rental pressure washers allow you to spray cleaning solutions with the water.
- Portability. Wheels make heavier models of rental pressure washers easier to transport.
- Safety features. Rental pressure washers should contain features such as a safety relief valve, a hose guard for burst protection, warning labels and a ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) for your safety.
Contact your local, ARA-affiliated, rental store for information on available rental products and services to meet your pressure washer needs. To locate the rental store nearest you, use the Rental Store Quick Locator above.