10 Ways to Keep Your Rented Tent Safe
Tent safety begins with proper installation. Rental customers may put up some small canopies themselves, but rental store professionals must install the larger tents for safety reasons. After proper installation of the rented tent, the rental customer must take steps to ensure safe use of the tent. Here are some tips for keeping your rented tent safe:
- Never remove tent-anchoring stakes. Removing tent stakes could affect the stability of the tent.
- Never attempt to move an erected tent. It is unsafe to move an erected tent because you easily could cause the tent to collapse or move it into overhead lines. Touching an overhead electrical cable with a tent pole can kill.
- Monitor weather conditions during the tent rental period. Customers primarily rent tents to provide temporary shelter from the rain and sun, but tents are not safe during severe storms and in high winds. Remember to evacuate the tent if this kind of bad weather approaches.
- Read and follow all written instructions provided by the rental store. These instructions will inform you of unsafe tent activities that you should avoid.
- Use only heating equipment approved by the rental store. Some heating units run the risk of causing a fire.
- Decorate the tent carefully. Attaching decorations to the tent’s poles or fabric can reduce the tent’s stability. Check with your rental store professional to make sure your decorating plans are safe.
- Never overload extension cords. Powering too much equipment inside the tent with one extension cord could cause a short, which might lead to a fire.
- Do not use gasoline equipment or store fuel containers inside a tent. These highly flammable items pose a fire risk.
- Be careful when walking around a tent’s perimeter. Tent ropes and stakes create obstacles that could cause you to trip.
- Locate and make note of all tent exits. Tents sometimes have battery-operated signs to mark exits. Taking the precaution of locating exits promotes quick evacuation in case of an emergency.
Contact your local, ARA-affiliated, rental store for information on available rental products and services to meet your tenting needs safely. To locate the rental store nearest you, use the Rental Store Quick Locator above.